In this post, we will discuss how to become a business analyst, salary, certifications, courses, and many more details.
Business Analyst plays an important role in the success of a company in every industry. At the present time, 66% of the companies fail to deliver the project within time and on budget. Indeed, the reason is lack of planning, communication.
Here is why the business analyst comes into the picture. Business analysts usually fix outdated issues in the company. As a business analyst, you will solve the companies financial problems by adapting to new technologies.
If you want to become a BA, yes it is a lucrative career. If you are an analytic thinker, you will be having great endless opportunities to succeed in your life.
What is Business Analytics?
It is a subset of a data management solution and business intelligence. In fact, it involves using statistical models and methodologies. By this, you can leverage the problems in the company and improve productivity, efficiency, and revenue.
Of course, you will use predictive analysis, statistical analysis, and data mining to analyze data. In fact, the goal is to use data wisely and to make smarter decisions.
Types of Business Analytics
There are mainly four types of business analytics. These types are interrelated with each other and implemented in various stages.
- Descriptive analytics
- Diagnostic analytics
- Predictive analytics
- Prescriptive analytics
What is Business Analyst?
As a BA, you will involve various issues depending upon the company. Hence, this says that you should be fast-paced in an evolving environment.
However, you will prioritize the work and get approval for business requirements. In addition, you will play a crucial role in the company’s business and also in IT.
Most of the people will that the BA work is to make money for the company. In reality, the decisions took by the BA will indirectly impact the financial aspects of the company.
Business Analyst Job description
These are the most common functions and duties of a BA.
- Know the business needs, understand the requirements.
- Implement new features and also design new features.
- Similarly, analyze the impact of implementing the new features in the company.
- Support the implementation of the new feature with planned steps.
- Work closely with the project managers, stakeholders in order to manage the projects.
- Updated with the latest IT advancements and also developing strategies.
- Ensuring the completion of the project within time and in the budget.
- Brainstorm solutions for the problems and conduct meetings.
- Of course, prioritizing the needs based on the requirements.
Business Analyst salary
Of course, you will be very curious to know the salary of a business analyst. This section will clarify all your queries.
The average salary of a business analyst in United States is $78,000 per year.
Where as entry level business analyst salary in United States is $67,000 per year.
In fact, the salary of a BA will depend upon various factors. Those factors include company, location, experience, certifications.
Read also: How to become a web developer.
How to become a business analyst?
If you are previously into the IT field, then it will be easy for you to become a BA. Because people with IT background possess some required essential skills of a BA.
If you are trying to become a BA as a college graduate then you need great hard work. To clarify, you need skills like project management and some core skills.
Below you can see the step by step guide to become a good business analyst.
Learn essential core skills
- Analytical skills – You must need good analytical skills in order to succeed in your career as a BA. Because as a BA you will spend your time analyzing the data, determining solutions to problems.
- Business Analysis skills – You need to have knowledge of using Excel and PowerPoint presentations. Having experience in using project management tools is a big plus.
- Leadership skills – Leadership skills are essential because you have to direct team members and help them in solving problems.
- Technical skills – Expertise in software development life cycle, operating systems, and other technical skills are a big plus.
- Documentation skills – Strong writing and documentation skills will always help you to stand out from others.
Business Analyst courses
Yes, if you are a college graduate you can kick start your career by taking business analyst courses. By investing money in business analyst courses you will cover the most related topics.
If you are a complete beginner, do utilize these free BA courses on udemy.
You will learn best practices like Business Process Model and Notation (BPMN) in your business analyst course. Business Process Diagrams (BPDs) will help you to solve critical business problems in your work.
Business Analyst Certification
BA certification will always add great value to your profile. Business analyst certification increases your chances of having more professional opportunities.
Certification helps you to increase your salary, improves your skillset, builds your network. Yes, you need to put some effort and hard work.
Especially for BA’s, International Institute of Business Analysis offers three certification levels. You can write exams online to get these certifications.
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the business analyst jobs are predicted to increase by 19% by 2022. So, choosing business analysis as a career is lucrative if you have essential skills and knowledge.